1. The Wrestler. The academy recognized the well-worn Mickey Rourke for his role as the Randy the Ram, but totally missed the boat on one of the best films of the year. Also, Marissa Tomei is naked for approximately 15 minutes, not that I was counting. (This movie is not for people on a first date or those sensitive about the misuse of staplers)
2. Phosphorescent. 2004's "Aw Come Aw Awry" and 2007's "Pride" may draw some obvious comparisons on first listen, but in the end, Matthew Houck's sound stands out and dude has got his shit together (musically anyway). With a new Willie Nelson cover album out now he may get his due in proper, but his Oldham/Magnum inspired songs are worth a thousand listens.
3. Obama's first 30 days. We all know about the landmark stimulus bill, but did you know about these early changes: The closing of the Guantanamo Bay detention center and all CIA detention centers around the world (I'm free), the tightening of Environmental Protection Agency's green automobile requirements, reversing President Bush's ban on federal funding to foreign establishments that allow abortions (known as the Mexico City Policy), and overturning a ban on the photographing of military coffins. (high school photogs looking for a banger senior project take note)
4. A.P.C. Getting bigger in the US, this French company designs simple, perfectly cut denim, clothing and shoes. "Atelier de Production et de Création" may be an unfamiliar name, but their collab with Nike and amazing spring 09' line will wake you up.
5. Quinoa. (pronounced KEEN-WAH) This hardy, protein-rich grain (technically a seed) was the sacred food of the ancient Incan civilization and nothing bad ever happened to them so... You can get it in bulk or packaged in most grocers (even in NH) and cooks in a quick 15-20 minutes. Replace your crappy pasta or rice and try with veggies, meats, fake meats, whatevs.