Friday, March 6, 2009

OBJECTIFIED.



Objectified is the new design documentary from director Gary Hustwit (Helvetica, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart) about our love affair with all things manufactured from the design process to production and consumption. Why not let the director do the talking?

"Objectified is a documentary about industrial design; it’s about the manufactured objects we surround ourselves with, and the people who make them. On an average day, each of us uses hundreds of objects. (Don’t believe it? Start counting: alarm clock, light switch, faucet, shampoo bottle, toothbrush, razor…) Who makes all these things, and why do they look and feel the way they do? All of these objects are “designed,” but how can good design make them, and our lives, better?

One reason that I’m delving into the world of objects in this film is that I, admittedly, am obsessed by them. Why do I salivate over a shiny new piece of technology, or obsess over a 50-year-old plywood chair? What does all the stuff I accumulate say about me, and do I really need any of it in the first place?"

-Gary Hustwit

No comments: